Must things to do in Waikiki
Image source: Canva

Aloha, and welcome to our beautiful paradise! Thank you so much for taking the time to read what I write. I am very excited to tell you my experience from a local perspective of what I enjoy doing in Waikiki and what some of you might like to do. I organized per day of the week to make it easier for you. I did some research for you, but please double-check the information before going to an event if it changed or got canceled because of weather conditions. Some have too much information to list, so please visit their website if you want more information. I am posting the websites that I got the information from in the button under resources.

I understand that sometimes it is tough to get bookings for your favorite activities, and after a day on the beach, you might want to do some of the must-do activities while in Hawaii.

Your Must do’s in Waikiki are: 

Wear a lei or learn how to make your own, watch a Hula show, and even better, learn how to Hula. Go for a swim, learn how to snorkel, take a surfing class or watch the surfers from the beach and take excellent pictures of them.Play volleyball at the beach in Waikiki; how cool is that?😉 Watch the beautiful sunsets that Waikiki has to offer. Visit the Honolulu Zoo and the Waikiki aquarium. Enjoy the outdoor gym at Kapiolani Park, which has essential equipment for those who want to keep active while on vacation. Keep practicing yoga or keep dancing during your Hawaiian vacation. We have a lot of classes and places in Waikiki to enjoy salsa, merengue, and bachata dancing in Waikiki.

Call before you show up; many businesses have not updated their schedules, and l have attended some activities without confirming first and had to turn around and go back home dressed up and ready for the night. 😂

Let’s jump on the schedule of activities I found for you in Waikiki. Most of them are Free 👏 and others are very low prices, but the Luaus are definitely not free!

On Monday 

Start your week by Learning how to play a ‘Ukulele

Must things to do in Waikiki,Oahu

Mondays from 11:00 am to 12:00 Pm in the Helumoa Hale guest service & heritage room, building B, level 1 at the Royal Hawaiian Center, or go online to ‘Ukulele Puapua that has free beginners class every day for 30 minutes at 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm, to reserve your spot click here

In the evening, enjoy Moani’s Hawaiian Style Pāina, live entertainment featuring traditional Hula from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Go to the International Market Place website for details, click here.

Or 

O Nā Lani Sunset Stories Hula Show Learn about Hawaiian and Polynesian culture through music and dances and witness the lighting of the Lamakū torch. This show is offered Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; hours change according to the time of the year; please visit international marketplace events for details, click here.

Tuesdays 

Free Walking tour of Waikiki

After a nice breakfast, enjoy a Free walking Tour; if you are interested in getting a quick overview of the basics of what is going on in Waikiki and a short version of its history, this tour is for you. It is an hour fast and fundamental, but you will get a better appreciation and understanding of Hawaii after the tour.  The free version is on Tuesdays and Friday at 10:00 am, with an option for the English and Spanish versions.

If these times don’t work for you, feel free to schedule the pay version, which has much flexibility in the schedule.

The free walking tour ends at the Royal Hawaiian Center, where you can Take a Hula Lesson and learn the bare hand, footwork, and body gestures of this famous Hawaiian storytelling tradition Tuesday from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm at the Royal Grove.

Have some lunch, enjoy the beach and go back to the Royal Hawaiian Center, where The Kawika Trask Trio gives a beautiful performance every Tuesday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm

And if you are Mexican every Tuesday 😂 don’t forget to keep your Taco Tuesday tradition in any Mexican restaurants in Waikiki or the Mexican food trucks in Waikiki. 👍

Wednesday 

Take a Lauhala Weaving Lesson, which will teach you the basics of Hala leaves preparation and crafting to the end product of a beautiful wearable Hawaiian bracelet that you can take home as a souvenir class will meet at building A, Level 2 from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm at the Royal Hawaiian Center. 

In the evening, Pu’uhonua Performance is a beautiful music entertainment for all the family to enjoy every Wednesday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm at the Royal Grove.

Or 

O Nā Lani Sunset Stories Hula Show Learn about Hawaiian and Polynesian culture through music and dances and witness the lighting of the Lamakū torch. This show is offered Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; hours change according to the time of the year; please visit international market place events for details. 

Thursday 

Must things to do in Waikiki, Hawaii

Bring your children between 5 and 10 years old to a Keiki Hula Lesson at the Royal Grove on Thursdays from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. The. Keiki will learn the basics of a famous hula song at the Royal Hawaiian Center. 

Or enjoy:

Free Royal Hawaiian Band Concert on the first Thursday of the month from  12:00 pm to 12:45 pm at the International Market Place, level 1, Queen’s court. 

Friday

image source: Canva

Free Walking Tour If you are interested in getting a quick overview of the basics of what is going on in Waikiki and a short version of its history, this tour is for you. It is an hour fast and fundamental, but you will get a better appreciation and understanding of Hawaii after the tour.  The free version is on Tuesdays and Friday at 10 am, with an option for the English and Spanish versions.

If these times don’t work for you, feel free to schedule the pay version, which has much flexibility in the schedule.

After the free tour, relax and wait for the Lei-making class every Friday from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm to learn the basics of fresh flower lei-making. In building A, Level 2 at the Royal Hawaiian Center, click here.

Have lunch, swim, relax, and return to the Royal Hawaiian Center for Malu Niu Productions, which has an outstanding performance every Friday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm at the Royal Grove.

Or go to 

O Nā Lani Sunset Stories Hula Show Learn about Hawaiian and Polynesian culture through music and dances and witness the lighting of the Lamakū torch. This show is offered Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; hours change according to the time of the year; please visit International Market Place events for details.

Afterward, go to the beach and wait for the Free Friday Fireworks by Hilton Hawaiian Village at 8:00 pm, by the Rainbow tower. It can be admitted from the beach and some hotel rooms facing the West side towards the Hilton Hawaiian Village rainbow tower.

Saturday 

Free Hula show on the Kuhio beach in Waikiki 

It is a must-see performance with authentic Hawaiian music and Hula dancers of different ages

Saturday 6:30-7:30 during the summer and the months of November, December, and January from 6:00 pm -7:00 pm. Be aware that it might be canceled if weather conditions are not favorable.

Or 

Free Hula Kahiko at Royal Hawaiian Center 

Travel in time with this stunning performance from the 1800s and before. This show takes place on Saturdays from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. 

Sundays

Must things to do in Waikiki, Hawaii/ Duke's on Sundays
Image source: henrykapono.com/gallery

Free Flabetics Fitness class every First Sunday from 11:00 am to 11:45 and Third Sundays from 10:00 to 10:45 at level 1, Queen’s court, international market place.

In the evening, you have to go to Duke’s on Sundays at Outrigger Waikiki Beach from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Join Henry Kapono and his band to sing and dance along to amazing local music.

Luaus in Waikiki 

image source: Canva

These are the Luaus that I found that were available when I wrote this article in Waikiki. They are perfect for those who do not have a rental car or are in the party mood and want to have a drink, enjoy the show to the fullest, and then walk back to their hotel without having to worry about driving or taking a taxi.

Waikiki Starlight Luau on the Green Lawn at the Hilton Hawaiian Village 

Queen’s Waikiki Lu’au at the international marketplace 

For Restaurants with live music, please check out the International Market Place. 

Ahaaina Luau at The Royal Hawaiian Resort Waikiki 

Rock a Hula at the Royal Hawaiian Theater 

Resources:

royalhawaiiancenter.com/

shopinternationalmarketplace.com/events/

www.hilton.com/en/